Last updated: April 16, 2018
In this policy, we use a few terms which are defined as follows: A “Member” is anyone who has registered a CA account, including Suppliers and Guests. A “Supplier” is someone who offers services (“Supplier Services”) via published listings on the CA Platform (“Listings”). A “Guest” is someone who books or seeks to book Supplier Services. “Accommodation” means a vacation or other property. “Payment Services” means any payment processing services provided through or in connection with a Member’s use of the CA Platform.
- Information We Collect
There are three general categories of information that we collect.
1.1. Information You Give Us.
We collect information you share with us when you use the CA Platform in order to ensure the adequate performance of contracts between you and CA, or between you and a Supplier. The provision of this information is necessary to use the CA Platform and, without it, we will not be able to provide you with services that you request.
- Account Information. When you sign up for a CA account or submit a request for Accommodation booking information, we require certain information such as your name and email address.
- Profile Information. To use certain features within the CA Platform, we may need to ask you to complete a profile, which may include your address and phone number.
- Other Authentication-Related Information. To help create and maintain a trusted environment, and to the extent permitted by applicable laws, we may collect identification that you provide (like a photo of your government-issued ID) or other authentication information.
- Payment Information. When you use the Payment Services (such as when booking Accommodation or a travel-related experience through us or establishing a Supplier relationship via us), we require certain financial information (like your bank account or credit card information) to process payments and comply with applicable law. If you are a Supplier, we may require additional information such as your ID or tax ID (where permitted by applicable law), and other proof of identification or verification in order to verify your identity, provide the Payment Services to you, and comply with applicable law. If you are a Guest, we may retain your financial information to assist you with booking travel-related experiences with third parties.
- Communications with CA. When you communicate with CA, we collect information about your communication and any information you choose to provide.
- Other Information. You may otherwise choose to provide us information (such as your itinerary, food allergies, emergency contact information, travel preferences, and information about other guests accompanying you on your stay) when you fill in a form, speak to, or otherwise communicate with an CA representative, conduct a search, update or add information to your CA account, respond to surveys, participate in promotions, or use other features of the CA Platform.
1.2. Information We Automatically Collect from Your Use of the CA Platform.
When you use the CA Platform, we collect information about the services you use and how you use them, even if you don’t sign up for a CA account. We process this information for the activities and legal bases described in Section 2 below.
- Usage Information. We collect information about your interactions with the CA Platform, such as the pages or other content you view, your searches for villas, bookings you have made, the experiences and activities you book with others through us, and other actions on the CA Platform.
- Location Information. When you use certain features of the CA Platform, we may collect different types of information about your general location (e.g. IP address, zip code).
- Log Data. We automatically collect log information when you use the CA Platform, even if you have not created a CA account or logged in. That information includes, among other things: details about how you’ve used the CA Platform (including if you clicked on links to third-party applications), IP address, access times, hardware and software information, device information, device event information (e.g., crashes, browser type), unique identifiers, and the page you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the CA Platform.
- Transaction Information. We collect information related to your transactions on the CA Platform or transactions made through the CA Platform, including the date and time, amounts charged, and other related transaction details.
1.3. Information We Collect from Third Parties.
We may collect information that others provide about you when they use the CA Platform, or obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through the CA Platform. CA does not control, supervise or respond for how the third parties providing your information process your personal data, and any information request regarding the disclosure of your personal information to CA should be directed to such third parties.
- Third Party Services. If you link, connect, or log in to your CA account with a third-party service (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Google), we may collect information from the third party service, such as your registration and profile information. This information varies and is controlled by that service or as authorized by you via your privacy settings at that service.
- Background Information. For certain Members in the United States, to the extent permitted by applicable laws, CA may obtain reports from public records of criminal convictions or sex offender registrations. For Members outside of the United States, to the extent permitted by applicable laws, CA may obtain the local version of background or registered sex offender checks. We may use your information, including your full name and date of birth, to obtain such reports. We will only collect this information where required by applicable laws or where necessary to ensure the adequate performance of our services for you.
- Other Sources. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may receive additional information about you, such as demographic data or fraud detection information, from third party service providers and/or partners (such as SafelyStay) and combine it with information we have about you. For example, we may receive background check results or fraud warnings from service providers like identity verification services for our fraud prevention and risk assessment efforts. We may receive information about you and your activities on and off the CA Platform, including about your interactions from our partner ad networks. For example, if you book a restaurant reservation through CA, the restaurant may send information to us that you submitted to them, like your dining preferences or dining activity. We may receive information about you and your activities on and off the CA Platform through partnerships, or about your experiences and interactions from our partner ad networks.
- How We Use The Information We Collect
We use, store, and process information about you to provide, understand, improve, and develop the CA Platform, and to create and maintain a trusted and safer environment.
2.1. Provide, Improve, and Develop the CA Platform.
- Enable you to access and use the CA Platform.
- Contact you about your booking requests, plan your stay at one of our villas, and make and manage your bookings.
- Enable you to communicate with other Members.
- Operate, provide, improve and optimize the CA Platform and experience, such as by performing analytics and conducting research.
- Personalize or otherwise customize your experience by, among other things making Accommodation suggestions, ranking search results or showing ads based on your search or booking history, and any preferences you provide to us, or that are signified by your search and booking history.
- Enable you to access and use the Payment Services, including collecting payment on behalf of a Supplier.
- Provide customer service.
- Send you service or support messages, such as updates, security alerts, and account notifications.
- If you provide us with your contacts’ information, we may use and store this information: (i) to facilitate your referral invitations, (ii) for fraud detection and prevention, and (iii) for any other purpose you authorize at the time of collection.
We process this information given our legitimate interest in improving the CA Platform and our users’ experience with it, and to ensure the adequate performance of our contract with you.
2.2. Create and Maintain a Trusted and Safer Environment.
- Detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity.
- Conduct investigations and risk assessments.
- Verify or authenticate information or identification provided by you (such as to verify your Accommodation address or compare your identification photo to another photo you provide).
- Conduct checks against databases and other information sources.
- Comply with our legal obligations.
- Resolve any disputes with any of our users and enforce our agreements with third parties.
- Enforce our Terms of Service, Member agreements, and policies.
We process this information given our legitimate interest in protecting the CA Platform, to verify and ensure the adequate performance of our contract with you, and to comply with applicable laws.
2.3. Provide, Personalize, Measure, and Improve our Advertising and Marketing.
- Send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your communication preferences (including information about CA or partner campaigns and services, such as services offered by CA’s affiliate, Airbnb).
- Personalize, measure, and improve advertising.
- Administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by CA or its third-party business partners.
- Carry out profiling on your characteristics and preferences (based on the information you provide to us, your interactions with our services, and your search and booking history) to send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising and other information that we think may be of interest to you.
We process this information given our legitimate interest in protecting the CA Platform, to measure the adequate performance of our contract with you, and to comply with applicable laws.
- Sharing & Disclosure
3.1. With Your Consent or Where Authorized by Law.
- We may share your information at your direction or as described by us to you at the time of sharing, such as if you, as a Guest, have requested us to connect you with a third party vendor or to purchase services from a third party vendor on your behalf, in connection with your booking (e.g., an insurance provider or activities provider), or if you, as a Supplier, have agreed to let us market your Accommodation through, or refer you to, a third party’s platform. In these situations, you are authorizing CA to disclose to these third party vendors information required to book them and to receive the relevant services from them. This could include special preferences or requests, and any additional guest information. These third-party vendors are not controlled by CA and personal information shared with them is subject to their privacy policies and practices.
- We may also share certain contact details about you, such as your name, email and past reservations in CA, to other companies and business partners of CA, including our affiliate, Airbnb, who may then send you marketing communications about products or services that may interest you.
3.2. Sharing between Suppliers and Guests.
- When you as a Guest submit a booking request, certain information about you may be shared with the Supplier to coordinate the booking, such as your name, contact details, and arrival date.
- When you as a Supplier have a confirmed booking, certain of information about you may be shared with the Guest to coordinate the booking, such as your full name, phone number, and Accommodation address.
Sharing this information is necessary to provide Guests with our services, and we don’t share your billing and payout information with other Members.
3.3. Reviews, Listings, and other Public Information.
The CA Platform publishes information that is visible to the general public. For example:
- Public Listing pages are publicly visible and include information such as the Accommodation’s approximate or exact location, Listing description, calendar availability, and any additional information the Supplier chooses to share.
- After completing a booking, Guests may write reviews which may appear publicly on Listing pages (and other pages on which we may market Accommodations) under their first name, last initial, and general location.
- If you submit content on our blog, in a public forum, or in a social media post, or use a similar feature on the CA Platform, that content is publicly visible.
The information you share publicly on the CA Platform may be indexed through third-party search engines. If you change your settings or your public-facing content, these search engines may not update their databases. We do not control the practices of third party search engines, and they may use caches containing your outdated information.
3.4. Service Providers.
We use a variety of third party service providers to help us provide services related to the CA Platform and ensure we can adequately provide you with our services. For example, service providers may help us: (i) verify or authenticate your identification, (ii) check information against public databases, (iii) assist us with background checks, fraud prevention, and risk assessment, or (iv) provide customer service, advertising, or payments services. These providers have limited access to your information to perform these tasks on our behalf and are contractually obligated to use it consistent with this policy.
3.5. Additional Services by Suppliers.
Suppliers may use third party services available through the CA Platform to assist with managing their Accommodation or providing additional services, such as cleaning services, insurance or activities providers. Suppliers may use features on the CA Platform to share information about the Guest (like the Guest’s check-in and check-out dates, name, phone number, and anonymized email address) with that third party service provider for the purposes of coordinating the stay, managing the Accommodation, or delivering other services.
3.6. Safety and Compliance with Law.
We will attempt to notify Members about these requests unless: (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law, or (ii) we believe that providing notice would be futile, ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon CA’s property, its Members and the CA Platform (collectively, “Risk Scenarios”). In instances where we comply with legal requests without notice for these reasons, we will attempt to notify that Member about the request after the fact if we determine in good faith that we are no longer legally prohibited from doing so and that no Risk Scenarios apply.
3.7. Corporate Affiliates.
To help us provide the CA Platform, we may share your information within our corporate family of companies (both financial and non-financial entities) that are related by common ownership or control. Additionally, we share your information with our affiliates to support, integrate, promote, and improve the CA Platform and our affiliates’ services. Our affiliates include other C-Africa companies and Airbnb companies.
We may display parts of the CA Platform (e.g., your Listing page) on sites operated by CA’s business partners, using technologies such as widgets or APIs.
3.9. Tax Authorities.
In jurisdictions where we facilitate the collection and remittance of occupancy taxes, Suppliers and Guests expressly grant us permission, without further notice, to disclose Suppliers’ and Guests’ data and other information relating to them or to their transactions, bookings, Accommodations and occupancy taxes to the relevant tax authority, including, but not limited to, the Supplier’s or Guest’s name, listing addresses, transaction dates and amounts, tax identification number(s), the amount of taxes received (or due) by Suppliers from Guests, and contact information.
3.10. Business Transfers.
3.11. Aggregated Data.
We may also share aggregated information (information about our users that we combine together so that it no longer identifies or references an individual user) and other de-identified information for industry and market analysis, regulatory compliance, demographic profiling, marketing, and advertising, and other business purposes.
- Other Important Information
4.1. Analyzing your Communications.
We may review, scan, or analyze your communications on the CA Platform for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, we scan and analyze messages to mask contact information and references to other websites. In some cases, we may also scan, review, or analyze messages to debug, improve, and expand product offerings. We use automated methods where reasonably possible. However, occasionally we may need to manually review some communications, such as for fraud investigations and customer support, or to assess and improve the functionality of these automated tools. We will not review, scan, or analyze your communications to send third party marketing messages to you, and we will not sell reviews or analyses of these communications.
These activities are carried out based on CA’s legitimate interest in ensuring compliance with applicable laws, preventing fraud, promoting safety, and improving and ensuring the adequate performance of our services.
4.2 Linking Third Party Accounts.
You may link your CA account with your account at a third party social networking service. When you create this link:
- the information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be stored, processed and transmitted for fraud prevention and risk assessment purposes; and
- the publication and display of information that you provide to CA through this linkage are subject to any of your settings and authorizations on the CA Platform and the third party site.
We only collect your information from linked third-party accounts to the extent necessary to ensure the adequate performance of our contract with you, or to ensure that we comply with applicable laws, or with your consent.
4.3 Google Maps/Earth.
- Third Party Partners & Integrations
The CA Platform may contain links to third party websites or services, such as third-party integrations, co-branded services, or third party-branded services (“Third Party Partners”). CA doesn’t own or control these Third Party Partners and when you interact with them, you may be providing information directly to the Third Party Partner, Airbnb, or both. These Third Party Partners will have their own rules about the collection, use, and disclosure of information. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of the other websites you visit.
- Your Choices
6.1. Managing Your Information.
You may access, update, and correct most of your basic personal information by logging into your CA account and reviewing your settings and profile. Where permitted by applicable law, you may request written copies of your personal information held by us. In some cases and where permitted by law, we may charge a fee which will be disclosed to you before we comply with your request. You are responsible for keeping your personal information up-to-date.
6.2 Data Retention & Account Cancellation.
We generally retain your information for as long as is needed to provide the CA Platform to you, or for as long as your account is active. If you no longer want us to use your information to provide the CA Platform to you, you may cancel your account or request us to erase your personal information. To cancel your CA account, contact us. If you cancel your account or request erasure of your personal information, note that:
- The information you have shared with others (such as Listing reviews) may continue to be publicly visible on the CA Platform in association with your first name, even after your CA account is canceled.
- Some copies of your information (e.g. log records) may remain in our database but are disassociated from personal identifiers.
- Because we maintain the CA Platform to protect from accidental or malicious loss and destruction, residual copies of your information may not be removed from our backup systems for a limited period of time.
- CA may retain certain information to the extent necessary to comply with its legal obligations.
- CA may retain certain information as necessary for its legitimate business interests, such as fraud detection and prevention, enhancing user safety, and defending itself against legal claims. For example, if CA removes a user account for fraud or user safety reasons, CA may retain certain information from that account to prevent that user from opening a new CA account in the future.
6.3 Withdrawing Consent.
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to withdraw consent you previously gave to CA to process your information and to end your use of the CA Platform by canceling your account as described in this section. Additionally, you may have the right to limit the ways in which we use your personal information.
6.4 Data Portability.
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to request a copy of the personal information that you have provided to us and/or to request us to move such personal information to another service provider. In such cases, and in line with our legal obligations, we will provide you or the service provider with information in a structured and commonly used format.
6.5 Restricting Processing.
In certain extraordinary circumstances (e.g. where you think that CA is not holding accurate data about you) and in line with applicable law, you may request CA to temporarily restrict our use of your personal information for a limited period of time until the extraordinary circumstance that justified the restriction ends.
6.6 Objecting to Processing (including Automated Decision-Making).
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to require CA not to process your personal information for certain specific purposes, such as profiling or marketing purposes.
6.7 Exercising Rights and Lodging Complaints.
If you would like to learn more about or exercise any of, the rights described in this Section 6, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may ask you to verify your identity before taking further action on your request. You have the right to lodge complaints about the data processing activities carried out by CA before competent data protection authorities.
- Operating Globally
7.1 Service Providers.
When you use the CA Platform, you authorize us to transfer, store and process your information in such countries. Laws in these countries may differ from the laws applicable to the place where you live. By using the CA Platform, you consent to transfer your data to these countries.
7.2 California Residents.
We are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, loss, destruction, or alteration.
Last updated: May 2018
A cookie is a small data file that is transferred to your device (e.g. your phone or your computer). For example, a cookie could allow us to recognize your browser, while another could store your preferences. There are two types of cookies used on the CA Platform: (1) “session cookies” and (2) “persistent cookies.” Session cookies normally expire when you close your browser, while persistent cookies remain on your device after you close your browser, and can be used again the next time you access the CA Platform.
Why CA Uses These Technologies
We use these technologies for a number of purposes, such as:
- To enable, facilitate and streamline the functioning of and your access to the CA Platform.
- To better understand how you navigate through and interact with the CA Platform and to improve the CA Platform.
- To serve you tailored advertising (on the CA Platform and on third-party websites).
- To show you content (e.g., advertisements) that is more relevant to you.
- To monitor and analyze the performance, operation, and effectiveness of the CA Platform and CA advertisements.
- To enforce legal agreements that govern the use of the CA Platform.
- For fraud detection and prevention, and investigations.
- For purposes of our own customer support, analytics, research, product development, and regulatory compliance.
We may also allow certain business partners to place these technologies on the CA Platform. These partners use these technologies to (1) help us analyze how you use the CA Platform, such as by noting the third party services from which you arrived, (2) market and advertise CA services to you on the CA Platform and third-party websites, (3) help us detect or prevent fraud or conduct risk assessments, or (4) collect information about your activities on the CA Platform, other sites, and/or the ads you have clicked on. For example, to help us better understand how people use the CA Platform, we work with a number of analytics partners, including Google Analytics. To prevent Google Analytics from using your information for analytics, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser by clicking here.
Third parties may also use such tracking technologies to serve ads that they believe are most likely to be of interest to you and measure the effectiveness of their ads both on the CA Platform and on other websites and online services. Targeting and advertising cookies we use may include Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Criteo, OpenX, Pubmatic, StackAdapt, AppNexus and other advertising networks and services we use from time to time. For more information about targeting and advertising cookies and how you can opt out, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s opt-out page, the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out page, or http://youronlinechoices.eu. To opt out of Google Analytics for display advertising or customize Google display network ads, you can visit the Google Ads Settings page. To the extent advertising technology is integrated into the CA Platform and you opt-out of tailored advertising, you may still receive advertising content. In that case, the advertising content will just not be tailored to your interests. Also, we do not control any of these opt-out links and are not responsible for the availability or accuracy of these mechanisms.
Third Party Social Plugins
The CA Platform may use social plugins provided and operated by third parties, such as Facebook’s Like Button. As a result of this, you may send to the third party the information that you are viewing on a certain part of the CA Platform. If you are not logged into your account with the third party, then the third party may not know your identity. If you are logged in to your account with the third party, then the third party may be able to link information or actions about your interactions with the CA Platform to your account with them. Please refer to the third party’s privacy policies to learn more about its data practices.
Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can modify your browser setting to decline cookies by visiting the Help portion of your browser’s toolbar.
Flash cookies operate differently than browser cookies, and cookie management tools available in a web browser will not remove flash cookies. To learn more about how to manage flash cookies, you can visit the Adobe website and make changes at the Global Privacy Settings Panel.
Your mobile device may allow you to control cookies through its settings function. Refer to your device manufacturer’s instructions for more information.
If you choose to decline cookies, some parts of the CA Platform may not work as intended or may not work at all.